2020 - 2021 Reflections Contest
Reflections is a National PTA arts recognition program that helps students explore their own thoughts, feelings, and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence, and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life.
Students create original works of art in response to a theme. The theme for the 2020-20201 program is I Matter Because . . . Students from Washington State may submit their works of art in one or all of these categories:
- Literature – works of fiction, nonfiction, poetry, prose, drama, short stories, and lyrics.
- Music Composition – original musical composition, with or without words.
- Photography: color or black and white, included techniques: photogram, negative sandwich, and multiple exposure.
- Visual Arts: drawing, painting in tempera, oil, acrylic, watercolor & t-shirt paints, computer-generated art, two-dimensional collage, printmaking, needlework & leather tooling.
- Film/Video: original works, with or without sound, of animation, narrative, documentary, experimental, or music video/film.
- Choreography/Dance: originally choreographed dance composition.
Judging and Recognition
Entries are judged largely on the interpretation of the theme, but creativity and skill are also considered. Judges are typically community volunteers who are experienced in the art categories they are judging. Entries are first judged at the local level and selected works are chosen to represent the PTSA at each subsequent level.