Clara Barton PTSA – 2019-20 Spelling Bee
Every year, students from all walks of life have the opportunity to participate in the Scripps National Spelling Bee, one of the nation’s oldest and most iconic competitions. They progress from classroom to cafeteria, from auditorium to civic center, delighting friends, family, sponsors, and fans, just as millions of other students have done before them. It’s a journey full of hard work, determination and the opportunity to make memories and friendships. Our purpose is to help students improve their spelling, increase their vocabularies, learn concepts and develop correct English usage that will help them throughout their lives.
Clara Barton PTSA presents its second Spelling Bee this year.
Registration is open to all students in Grades 1 through 5.
- There is a registration fee of $25 to be paid at the time of enrollment which covers any expenses for this event.
- A list of 450 words will be e-mailed to participants after they sign up.
- Students will meet three times after school in October, November and December. Each meetup will have games, mock rounds, and written rounds based on the words on the list.
- The students will then enter a Preliminary Written Round in January. Top students of each grade from that round will then move on Finals in Feb were a School Champion, a Runner Up and Grade Level Champions will be selected.
- The School Champion will go to Regionals that will be held in Seattle end of Feb by Scripps National Spelling Bee.
- Scholarships are available. Please contact Blair Lovatt, school counselor to request.
- All participants receive a participation certificate. School winners receive medals and prizes.
Like any other enrichment program, we will need volunteers to run this program smoothly. Sign up links will be available online for parents who can help during these meetups and for rounds. When registering you can also mark yes, in the volunteer line if you are willing to help.
Registration dates: Sep 30th – Oct 20th
1st meet up – Oct 22th Tue 4-5p
2nd meetup – Nov 12 Tue 4-5p
3rd meetup – Dec 10 Tue 4-5p
Preliminary– Jan 14 Tue 4-5p
Final TBD – Feb 1 Saturday 9a-2p
Registration extended through Oct 20th…
For Questions contact: firstname.lastname@example.org