Clara Barton Elementary PTSA, in partnership with local businesses and organizations, recognized student perseverance throughout the 2020-21 school year with Grit Goodie Bags. With the help of 20+ volunteers and priceless volunteer hours, 588 bags were assembled and distributed to students. PTSA would like to thank its members and these 17 partners for coming together to support students with their generous donations.
Due to the late School Picture Day date, we haven’t seen the portrait photos flowing into Lifetouch and don’t know when they will be available to finalize the yearbook. Watch for an email or follow Clara Barton Elementary PTSA on Facebook for information about yearbook delivery by the end of summer.
Please let us know if you will be needing special arrangements (yearbook being mailed, etc.) at email@example.com.
Clara Barton Elementary PTSA appreciates the Educators, Parents, Volunteers, and Students from our community, that during an extraordinary school year, used their powerful voice, provided relevant resources, and were strong advocates for the well-being and education of all children. We’d like to recognize those who have helped find unique ways to enrich student lives and also celebrate our students’ perseverance and grit.
Cami Miller, PTSA VP of Events/Awards Committee Member
Bobcat Legacy Award
PTSA recognizes these volunteers for their legacy of exceptional service while at Clara Barton Elementary. They will be missed!
- Lisa Brand, School Pool Chair, Room Parent
- Mark Cunningham, School Event DJ
- Kifah & Osama Hamdan, First Day Coffee Chairs, Room Parent, Family Events Volunteer
- Cathey Hettinger, Spirit Wear Chair, Staff Appreciation Events, 5th-Grade Graduation Committee
- Sonoko Kambara, International Night Co-Chair, Room Parent
- Sujeet Kharkar, Reflections Chair
- Neelam Ladhani, Math Challenge Co-Chair, Art Docent, Room Parent, International Night Co-Chair
- Jay Lippe, Founding PTSA Member, PTSA Board Member, Fundraising VP, Events VP, Spirit Wear Chair, Room Parent, Art Docent, Family Events Volunteer, Math Night Co-Chair
- Joyce Leon, Special Education Co-Chair, STEAM Night Co-Chair
- Olga Marochko, Family Events Volunteer, School Pool Volunteer, Art Docent, Room Parent
- Zhanlu Wang, Math Competition Chair
- Nomita Yadav, PTSA Board Member, VP of Extended Curriculum, Vision & Hearing Screening Chair, Room Parent, Art Docent, Pacific Science Center Van Chair, Math Night Co-Chair
Bronze Bobcat Awards
The Bronze Bobcat Volunteer Award recognizes exemplary volunteers for their time and dedication serving Clara Barton Elementary students, educators, and the community.
- Romina Coronel, Yearbook Co-Chair, Room Parent, Translator
- Taunya Covington, PTSA Board Member, Communications VP, Newsletter Chair, Co-Webmaster, Lake Washington Schools Foundation Ambassador
- Amber Dattoli, Founding PTSA Member, PTSA Board Member, Volunteers VP, Egg Drop Chair, Art Docent, Room Parent, Family Events Volunteer, Special Needs Co-Chair
- Sangeetha Jagadeesan, Passport Club Chair, Spelling Bee Chair, Room Parent
- Renu Kushwaha, PTSA Board Member, Volunteers VP
- Jaya Nigam, Spelling Bee Chair, Tears & Cheers Event Chair, Room Parent, Vision & Hearing Screening Volunteer
- Jenn Nitta, Reader Board Chair, Nature Vision Chair, Classroom Volunteer, School Events Volunteer
- Virginia Rameriz, LWSD Advocate/Interpreter for Latino Community
- Myla Rugge, Pantry Packs Coordinator, Family Events Volunteer, Classroom Volunteer
- Poornima Shankar, Math Challenge Co-Chair, Art Docent Co-Chair, Art Docent
- Xin Sun, PTSA Board Member, Treasurer
- Ashwini Suresh, Spelling Bee Co-Chair, Room Parent, Vision & Hearing Screening Volunteer
- Xue Tian, PTSA Board Member, Treasurer, Room Parent, Art Docent, Family Events volunteer, Vision & Hearing Screening Volunteer
The Bronze Bobcat Educator Award recognizes exemplary educators for their contributions in the classroom and beyond. These individuals were nominated by peers and members of the Clara Barton community.
- Libby Bruner, Kindergarten
- Louisa Case, Instructional Assistant, Lunchroom Cashier
- Claire Garrels, Learning Center teacher
- Ismael Palongyas, Learning Center
- Haley Redmon, 2nd/4th-Grade
Brianna Seay, 1st-Grade
- Amy Waldroup, Librarian
WSPTA Outstanding Educator Award
The WSPTA Outstanding Educator Award is presented to an individual who has exhibited continued and dedicated contributions and efforts to enhance the educational outcomes of all children. Associate Principal Marianne Williams has shined bright this school year working tirelessly as our school’s COVID-19 Supervisor. She ensures our building is a safe place for in-person learning, while continuing to support students learning remotely. Her passion for building strong relationships shows as she serves as a resource for all school staff. Her commitment to student success is manifest daily, and she partners with community resources to ensure families have the support they need. Working with the school’s Social Emotional Learning Team, she helps create equity-based responses to student needs. Her cheerful patience and dedication to keep our students safe and supported has been invaluable this year. Congratulations, Mrs. Williams!
WSPTA Golden Acorn Award
The WSPTA Golden Acorn Award is a prestigious Washington State PTA award given out by local PTAs/PTSAs for exemplary and outstanding volunteerism and service to PTA. Congratulations, Nomita Yadav! She will be missed at Clara Barton as her student moves on to middle school. While serving as a PTSA Board Member, Nomita has overseen programs that enhance student education including Art Docent, Spelling Bee, and Math Challenge. She helped bring to our school the theater program, Vision & Hearing Screenings and The Pacific Science Center Van. She enjoyed volunteering as an Art Docent and with class events. She secured donations from businesses to celebrate student perseverance and grit during this unusual year. Her passion for contributing to our school community is contagious and she motivates and inspires others around her to become involved.
Did you know library books no longer quarantine? Redmond Library currently offers curbside pick-up and 24/7 book drop-off.
Thank you, Mrs. Waldroup for kicking off KCLS Summer Reading during the PTSA General Membership Meeting. All ages can take part in Summer Reading. This includes children who are not yet reading independently. More information is available here: https://kcls.org/summer/
The last day of school for our 5th-grade students is coming! We are excited to share the plan for our celebration event on Wednesday, June 16. The Car Parade begins at noon, circling the Clara Barton front drop offline and lot. Please queue up and be ready. Feel free to decorate your car, make posters, anything to make this parade extra-special! Teachers and staff members will be there to wave goodbye – it is important to maintain distance and remain in your car during the entire parade. CBE Staff will collect laptops, textbooks and all other non-consumable supplies from all remote students. Remember to bring the charger cord too! At the end of the parade, you can pick up your 5th Grade Goodie Bag (thank you PTSA!). IF you choose to continue the celebration, you can drive across to the Woodlands Field area where PTSA will have pizza, donuts, and other treats for 5th graders. Please know that due to COVID-19 this portion is optional, families that decide to join understand that they do so at their own risk.
Please be sure to RSVP for the event here.
Also, be sure to stop by the south end of the school (playground entrance) to take your 5th grader’s photo in front of the Clara Barton “Congratulations” backdrop. The backdrop will be hung up from Monday, June 7 until Tuesday, June 15, so make sure to get your picture taken by then!
We would like to congratulate each 5th grade Clara Barton Family for reaching this milestone. Together, we rise!
Jay Lippe, PTSA VP of Fundraising
Congratulations to statewide essay contest winner, Sreya Parasuram! (Grade 2). Sreya submitted an essay about an influential role model that has had a profound impact on their life. Watch Sreya read her essay, “My Role Model,” and other state award-winning essays here.
Washington State PTA announced its 2020-21 Awards of Excellence. Clara Barton PTSA was honored with awards for the following:
Outstanding Website (Gold)
PTAs Taking Significant Action (Bronze)
Outstanding Newsletter (Bronze)
We appreciate all the PTSA leaders and volunteers that shared their creativity, flexibility, and passion for students to make an award-winning difference in our school and community this year.
PTSA’s June volunteer of the month is Jenn Nitta. Jenn updates the readerboard and keeps the community up to date on news and often includes positive messages. Jenn loves to volunteer in the classrooms and has lead small groups in math and reading and she is known to happily lend a hand during Picture Day, Hearing & Vision Screening, Egg Drop Day, and the Fun Run. She recently volunteered as Nature Vision Chair. Outside CBE, Jenn loves to stay active. Some of her favorite activities include coaching soccer, paddle boarding, walking her puppy, and experimenting with new fitness classes. Jenn has two boys in the first and third grades at CBE. Thank you, Jenn!
In partnership with Clara Barton Elementary PTSA, virtual Pirate School is in session. This madcap, slap-dash pirate training academy allows youngsters and adults to discover their ‘inner-swashbuckler.’
Pirate School: The SCIENCE of Pirates! excites and motivates students with piratical fun. Concepts addressed will include:
Atmospheric pressure, wind, currents, sailboat aerodynamics (Science)
Simple machines (Engineering)
Flight of a cannonball (Technology)
Kids are encouraged to attend dressed in costume.
More information for this virtual live event is available here at https://clarabartonptsa.org/pirate/
The LWPTSA Council, with support from LWSD, presents the self-care webinar, “Mindfulness & Meditation,” on May 21 online here from 5:00-6:00PM. All are welcome!
Questions? Contact Irene Neumann or Hae Sue Park, Council’s Parent Education Co-Chairs at firstname.lastname@example.org