Clara Barton PTSA and Mathnasium present, a virtual MATH NIGHT for all students. Crunch some numbers and sharpen your skills with fun, interactive games! This FREE event will be held on two Fridays 22nd and 29th of April in breakout rooms via Zoom.
K-2nd Grade – April 22nd 5:00-5:45 PM, April 29th 5:00-5:45 PM
3rd-5th Grade – April 22nd 6:00-6:45 PM, April 29th 6:00-6:45 PM
Register for Math Night by April 18th.
Neha Khandelwal, PTSA Family Events VP
Sign up until 02/11/2022 – $50 per team!
Math is Cool is the primary math contests for 4th and 5th graders in Washington State. If you wish to participate, please sign up at https://forms.gle/8JQ1bG7aEc2PJuy29 by 02/11/2022. Note, 3rd graders can sign up, but spaces (32 students per grade) will go to 4th and 5th graders first.
In Math is Cool, students compete in teams. Each team should have 4 students (3 is okay if there are not enough students). You are encouraged to organize your own team. If you don’t have a team, we will help put your student into a team. If Barton is invited to participate in the Masters round, the top 4 individual scorers will be selected to represent the school.
Math is Cool offers in-person and online contests this year. The in-person contests are currently scheduled to be held at Liberty High School in Renton on March 4th for 5th grade and March 11th for 4th grade. However, it is tentative and may be canceled due to COVID. The online contests are scheduled to be held on March 23rd for 5th grade and March 30th for 4th grade. However, online contests would require a team parent to host it in their own house.
We plan to collect registration fees when the contests are confirmed ($50 per team). Questions? Please contact Weidong Cui at email@example.com .
With students returning to in-person school and uncertain COVID-19 restrictions in the weeks and months ahead, Clara Barton PTSA will not be offering virtual or on-site Fall 2021 Enrichment Program classes. Enrichment is an important part of what our community envisions for student success. We’ll keep you posted in the newsletter and Facebook about future plans.
Spring Enrichment brings back student favorites! Re-enroll for the next-level Roblox, Minecraft, or Python; or sign up for a beginner-level Python class. Or celebrate Spring with Chef Erica Weisman from Canlis, Seattle Cucina for “Eat the Rainbow” with new healthy and happy recipes. Debate offers classes for grades 2-3, 4-5, and Advanced. Also back is the Clara Barton Chess Club. More information about Clara Barton PTSA Enrichment Classes and registration is available here: https://clarabartonptsa.org/programs-events/enrichment/
2021 offers new Clara Barton PTSA Enrichment Classes so all Bobcats – scientists, coders, bakers, and chess lovers – can learn and have fun! Our virtual enrichment classes are designed to teach new skills, to be engaging, and to allow students to meet others. Click the button below for class descriptions, dates, and fees. Classes are open to all LWSD students.
Details and registration is available here: Clara Barton PTSA Enrichment Program – Winter 2020-21 – Clara Barton Elementary PTSA
Now more than ever, Clara Barton PTSA is committed to supporting students in need with scholarships. If you’d like to request an Enrichment class scholarship, please email Blair Lovatt. All requests are confidential.
For questions about the Winter Enrichment Program, please reach out to Enrichment Co-VPs, Ana Maria Feito & Neha Khandelwal at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You shared feedback and we listened! As we are all getting a little more comfortable with the remote learning process, you asked to extend Fall Enrichment classes registration deadline. Done!
Also, back by popular demand is Clara Barton Chess Club, Minecraft Coding, and an extra Roblox class after the Roblox Coding class success. Check out class descriptions and register today!
With registration expected to close late this weekend, Sunday, September 20th, we don’t want you to miss the following activities. You can learn more here: https://clarabartonptsa.org/enrichment-program-2020-21-fall-session.
Grade 3 to Grade 5
- Culinary World Tour (Grades 3-5) – Thursdays 4pm-5:15pm – 11 classes
Get ready, food adventurers! Young chefs will join chef Erica Weisman in a fun and flavorful exploration that takes them across the globe, from France to Vietnam, India to the Pacific Islands and beyond. In each class kids will visit a different culinary locale, learning to prepare unique dishes and developing their chef life skills with a variety of cooking techniques along the way. Every week, they will create a new, exciting dish for dinner (see Seattle Mag post here)
- Culinary World Tour (Grades 3-5) – Thursdays 4pm-5:15pm – 11 classes
- CervantesKids (Grades 3-5) – Tuesdays 4pm – 5pm – 10 classes Spanish immersion and enrichment program. Students will learn and practice their Spanish speaking skills through guided recreational play, speaking and listening activities, arts and crafts, and storytelling. Activities will be conducted in Spanish and will be planned to correspond with school themes and holidays. The objective of the program is to give your child the opportunity to learn and improve his/her proficiency in the language while exposing him/her to Spanish and Latin art, culture and geography.
- Scratch (Grades 3-5) – Thursdays 4pm – 5pm (10 classes) Start your coding journey by creating your own games! Kids will learn the core concepts of computer programming that will lay the foundations for future coding success. Projects, such as chasing games, mazes, and animated stories, will allow learners to use their creativity while learning coding concepts like loops and variables. Students will have access to their own Scratch account that will allow them to continue working on their coding journey at home.
- Little Coders (Grades K-2) – Wednesdays 2:30pm – 3:30pm (12 classes) Our Little Coders class is an opportunity for young children to develop their computational thinking skills, build their first programs, and have fun with new friends! The curriculum is designed for early readers and takes into account cognitive abilities as well as the attention span typical for ages 5-7. After the class, students will be able to share their projects with family and friends and continue programming at home with their Coding with Kids Scratch account. Animations Students will learn how to make animations in Scratch using basic coding skills! Students will focus on the arts and animations side of game development. Through various projects, students will learn how to create their own characters, animate them, and tell their story through art, creativity, and basic coding skills!
- Speak Easy Level 1 (Grades 1-3) – Mondays 4pm – 5pm (8 classes) This class is all about inspiring kids to do great things! And the best part is that it is fun, too! The class will culminate with an interactive presentation for family and friends. Through interactive games and fun activities you will learn how to:
- Stand out in a crowd using specific tips for success.
- Craft your message.
- Improvise -sometimes acting goofy is the best way to overcome fears!
- Team build and lead others
- Aspiring Authors (Grades 2-5) – Tuesdays 4pm – 5pm (8 classes) Does your child love creative writing and storytelling? Or love to draw and illustrate? Have your child join us at our publishing company where each student will be an author, editor, and artist “hired” by the publishing company to create their masterpieces. As a company, we will assemble and bind the books creating professional results.* Students will learn how to use the elements of story building to captivate their readers and enhance their illustrations to make their words come alive. Their books will be a treasure to cherish. In a final activity, parents and friends are encouraged to join us to “Celebrate the Authors”.
- Zumba Kids and Zumba Kids Jr. – Mondays 4pm – 5pm (junior) and Mondays 5pm-6pm (10 classes) Zumba® Kids classes feature kid-friendly routines based on original Zumba® choreography. We break down the steps, add games, activities and cultural exploration elements into the class structure. Perfect for kids in grades 2-5. Kids will get the chance to be active and jam out to their favorite music.The class incorporates respect, confidence, self-esteem, creativity, coordination and cultural awareness.
- Smart with Art – Wednesdays 3pm-4pm (6 classes) Join us for a fun filled 6-week session online as we explore art from a variety of different periods in time. Students will learn about primary colors and collage while looking at the art of Mondrian.Discover Keith Haring and James Rizzi – two amazing NYC artists! We will develop new skills as we explore a variety of materials in each lesson. Each week a new artist will be introduced. Our online learning is engaging and interactive! Let’s create together! Supplies will be provided (either mailed in or delivered to students). While this will be a 6 class session, a new off-calendar session will return in November with a new theme.
- STEM FUNdamentals with LEGO – Fridays 4pm-5pm (8 classes) Ready to take your LEGO® building at home to the next level? Then join Play-Well TEKnologies for virtual LEGO Engineering class this Fall at Clara Barton! Every participant will receive a kit of specialized LEGO materials, and students will develop their creativity and problem-solving skills through a variety of hands-on LEGO projects. Hope to see you there!
Registration is expected to close on Sunday, September 20. Learn more here: https://clarabartonptsa.org/enrichment-program-2020-21-fall-session. To be waitlisted, please reach out to email@example.com
Registration is now open. Here you will find exciting activities and classes for all ages! World languages, coding, debate, cooking, dance, art, and more. Some classes have a limited number of slots. Note: the number of classes varies for each. Click here for more information here.
Dance, coding, math, and art — help us determine what the after-school enrichment classes offered through the PTSA look like for Fall 2020. Complete a quick survey here.